How to Get Started• Initial Consultation • How to take Remedies • How to Store Remedies
The Initial Homeopathic Consultation
It consists of an in-depth interview, that lasts about two hours, so that the homeopath may understand the details of your chief complaint, any other symptoms, your health history, and what is unique and characteristic about you and your experience of life. During this interview, the homeopath listens deeply. For some people it is a profound experience to be interviewed and listened to in this way.
Follow-up appointments are typically 45 minutes, ideally every four to six weeks, for the first six months, and less frequently as healing progresses.
What to Expect During the First Months of taking a remedy
Please get in touch or be sure you have scheduled a follow-up appointment for approximately one month from when you take the remedy. Please email or call me if you would like to discuss this remedy or any aspect of your homeopathic treatment with me.
Please ignore the condition or complaint listed on the bottle. It is unlikely to match your own. Homeopathic remedies have an extremely broad application and this single symptom will be one of hundreds or even thousands that this remedy can help. I will have selected this remedy because it matches your “whole picture” and not because of one single symptom. I have my own date base which I use for prescribing, and I select a remedy for reasons that will be different than what you might read about online.
Homeopathic remedies are designed to stimulate your body’s natural ability to heal itself-to act as a catalyst for healing. This process of healing varies from person to person. The following are common responses:
You feel better in yourself: in the weeks after taking the remedy you may feel better, experience an increase in energy and or your complaints may improve.
You feel more tired than usual; This could mean your body is concentrating its energy on the healing process and you can help by resting and or sleeping more (going to bed earlier or taking a nap in daytime).
You experience a worsening of one or more of your symptoms: If you experience, in between consultations, symptoms that are familiar to you please contact me if you are concerned about how long they will last, or would like advice on how to manage them.
You fall ill with an acute illness: Call me if you would like homeopathic treatment, or let me know if you need other medical treatment so I am informed.
Please keep notes: Keep them on anything unusual or different that happens between consultations, along with dates, as this information is meaningful to me and will enable me to track your progress more effectively. I am especially interested in any changes in your energy, your moods, your appetite, any significant dreams, and any changes in your symptoms.
Contact me if you are having symptoms that you would like help with during the month.
To avoid counteracting the remedy or hindering its action avoid the following:
- Camphor, or other highly volatile products such as Vick’s Vapo-rub, eucalyptus, Ben Gay, Tiger Balm, Icy Heat , Noxema, moth balls, and Tea Tree Oil
- Altoids or any extra-strong minty flavors or smells.
- Other Homeopathic Remedies
- Dental work, including routine cleaning by a hygienist, for the first few months of taking a remedy.
Caring for your remedies, (liquid and pellets)
- Store in a cool dark place, away from any strong odors, but not in the refrigerator.
- Don’t touch pellets with fingers
- Don’t store remedies in direct sunlight or near electronics
- Don’t expose remedies to strong odors
- Don’t expose remedies to heat over 120 degrees, such as in a car on a hot day
Preparing and taking liquid remedies:
Do not eat, drink, brush teeth, take medications, chew gum, or smoke for approxiamtely 15 minutes BEFORE or AFTER taking your remedy.
- Without unscrewing cap from bottle, squeeze the dropper once and release it.
- Hold bottle upright in hand and strike firmly 10 times against a telephone book or similar surface.
- Measure ½ cup (4 ounces) of distilled water into a glass (made of glass not plastic).
- Using dropper, put 6 drops of remedy into the water.
- Stir the solution with a clean metal utensil for 15 seconds.
- Take a big sip of the solution and swish around in your mouth before you swallow it.
Discard all remaining solution and save the glass. Do not wash glass, but continue to use it for this one remedy only. The liquid remedy is taken daily, unless you are given other directions.
Preparing and taking the Dry Pellets:
- Do not eat, drink, brush teeth, chew gum, or smoke for 15 minutes BEFORE or AFTER taking remedy.
- If any pellets spill, please discard them. When taking the remedy do not touch the pellets.
- Usually you take one dose of the dry pellets, unless you have been given other instructions.
- ONE DOSE IS APPROXIMATELY 5-10 PELLETS. Pour pellets directly into cap and then drop from the cap into your mouth. Let them dissolve under tongue.
- Sometimes you will be instructed to take more than one dose.
If you experience a return of old symptoms:
Please contact me and schedule a follow-up so I can assess whether:
- you are on the correct remedy
- the potency of the remedy needs to be changed
- the remedy was anti-doted
- you need to take another dose of your remedy